Our pastor (Brad Rickard) is studying the book of James as his first continual study at Immanuel. So far I have throughly enjoyed it and have been challenged a little more than I would like. In addition to this, we are also following up with this at our small group on Thursday nights. This is a great time to revisit and remember what was taught on Sunday. How easily it is to forgot. I also try to study it during the week so I can better understand what is being taught to me. While Philip and I were out in PA I studied the book of James also. It had a great impact on my life and I did a good job of journaling about it while there. As I was reading through it, I thought I would share my first entry that pertains to James chapter 1. It shares a little bit about what I learned and continually learn and little about my heart as well.
Trails and Temptations come daily in our lives. Because of this I need to be ready for them. So many times they can sneak up on us when we least expect it. Especially when we are away from God (which seems to happen to me more often than not). Satan can come in and entice us with his ways and before I realize I fall. That is why James is so concerned with our response. It would be and is necessary to ask God for wisdom (vs 5.) and seek out wisdom in the scriptures. God is our anchor and support in trials and continually seeking his wisdom we have a greater and almost inevitable chance of being victorious. However, trials or not, our response needs to be joy. We don't always have to be happy, but joy is much deeper and greater. It is with our response that others will see God. It is crucial that no matter what I am facing, the name of Christ be glorified. Oh Lord, how difficult this is and how I fail SO many times, but I pray that I can be better. That I will seek wisdom and display joy, the only kind you can give.
Another area of concern is in listening and action. "Quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to be angry." Help me to do exactly what this says!! I REALLY like vs 22-24. It is SO important that when we read God's word we remember it and do what it says. We not only need to take it in, but display it in our actions. So many times I know what needs to be done, but if I don't do it, who cares? Lord, please help me to always remember your word. Even if I can only remember a portion of it. Let me not forget as I travel through my day. Let me be able to use it in my daily situations so again only YOUR name will be praised. My life is for you so please use me to glorify your name.
I pray that this is true today as it was February 7, 2009!
Thursday, October 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment