So today was my second appointment since the beginning of this pregnancy. This was one of the "milestone" appointments as I like to call them. Not that the rest are not important, but today we got to hear the baby's heartbeat. I did not get an ultrasound, but the doctor used a doppler instrument (I believe) that could hear the heartbeat as well as tell how many beats per minute. It took a little while for my doctor to find the heartbeat, but when she did it was amazing. It was beating so fast and sounded so funny, but I loved every second of it. My baby's heart would beat for 163 beats per minute. So healthy the doctor said. This appointment meant so much to me. I did not doubt that there was a baby growing inside of me, but hearing the heartbeat makes it so real. It is just amazing to know that there is a little baby growing inside of me. God is so good and I can't wait until I know if it is a boy or girl and for those of you who want to know, we will hopefully find out April 1st if the baby is in the right position. Also, my next appointment is March 5th and this will be at 16 weeks. Continue to pray that all things continue smoothly.
Another little tid-bit of info I thought I would share with is something VERY interesting I learned today at my appointment. I did blood test after my first appointment to check for different things like Hep B and C, HIV, etc. and with that I found that I have A- blood type although I knew that previously. However those woman with a negative RH level could be prone to a mother-fetus blood imcompatibility. It only affects those woman with a mate who has a RH postive level. Now we are not certain what Philip's blood type is, but both Dennis and Doris are positive and for those of you who paid attention in science class that would mean Philip RH level is positive. With that in mine the male has the dominant gene meaning our child will be positive which is where the problem arises. So, since we fall into that category some precautions have to be made. The doctor told me that the negative (me) and positive (baby) blood can create antibodies that attack the red blood cells of the baby causing serious harm. Around week 28th of the pregnancy I will have to get a Rho-GAM injection to build up immunization to the antibodies and if the baby is indeed postive I will get another injection within 72 hours of giving birth. I feel like it is similar to like a flu shot or Rubella etc. She said that for our first child everything is fine, but the Rho-GAM injections are preventative measures for future children we may have. NOW hopefully that is NOT confusing, but for those that are medically challenged like I am I will provide a medical explanation below. For those of you who are worried DO NOT be. The doctor said there is NOTHING to worry about she just wanted Philip and I to be aware. So if I am not worried no one else should be. :)
Your Rh type is important in pregnancy because mother-fetus blood incompatibility can occur when the mother is Rh- and the unborn baby is Rh+. This is a serious and potentially life-threatening situation for the growing fetus. An Rh- mother will produce antibodies to Rh+ blood if it enters her system. When birthing a baby, placental rupture normally occurs. This causes some fetal blood to enter the mother's system, thus stimulating the development of antibodies if the baby is Rh+ and the mother is Rh-. This poses a serious risk to any future Rh+ babies a woman may have. When the next pregnancy occurs, the mother's anti Rh+ antibodies transfer across the placenta into the fetus. There they will react with the fetal blood, attacking the red blood cells and causing them to burst. As a result, the newborn baby may be born with life-threatening anemia, causing a lack of oxygen in the blood. Baby may also be jaundiced, fevered, and have an enlarged liver and spleen. This is called erythroblastosis fetalis. The good news is that this serious condition is preventable. As a part of their prenatal care, women at risk (Rh- women with Rh+ mates) can receive a serum called Rho-GAM. The Rho-GAM injection contains anti-Rh+ antibodies in a small dose and is given to the expectant mother around the 28th week of pregnancy and again within 72 hours after the delivery of an Rh+ baby. This important treatment can be 99% effective in preventing erythroblastosis fetalis by acting as a passive form of immunization. The Rho-GAM prevents the mother from forming her own long-lasting antibodies. The Rho-GAM antibodies are temporary, leaving the bloodstream after a short period. Rho-GAM is also given to Rh- women after a miscarriage, an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy, or an abortion.
So until next time...
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Gina - What an exciting event for you and Philip!!! Thanks for sharing your experience! Praying for all three of you!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like your doctor has everything under control. That is SO comforting. And AGAIN, I am WAY excited for you two! Praying, praying, and still MORE praying for you!!! (You can never have enough!) ;D
ReplyDeleteDid you copy that from the article I sent you?!
ReplyDelete